Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Peanut Butter Brownies
I've made these before but never with peanut butter. I have to say they didn't turn out quite as well as they have previously, cos I managed to burn the brownie base, and I think I should have used self raising flour as they are really dense. They're still damn tasty, though.
Recipe taken from the amazing One Ordinary Day blog (seriously, check it out), and modified. N.B. Her units are American (i.e. in cups) so I have put them into metric, and have rounded to more sensible amounts when required.
450g granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
160g all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
100g dark chocolate, broken up
2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
220g light brown sugar
100g granulated sugar
4 tbsp milk
2tsp vanilla extract
260g all-purpose flour
200g dark chocolate, broken up
1 tbsp peanut butter
200g dark chocolate
1. Prepare 13x9" baking tray by laying a sheet of non-stick paper across the bottom and up the sides. Alternatively spray with cooking spray or wipe with butter.
2. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan; add the cocoa, stirring until smooth. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
3. Add the sugar, salt, eggs and vanilla, and beat with a spoon until combined. Add the flour and baking powder and mix well.
4. Stir in the chocolate chunks and peanut butter, and spread into the baking tray.
5. Bake at 170 degrees for 25 minutes, or until fully cooked (gauged by putting a skewer into the middle and if it comes out clean they're done). Allow to cool completely before moving on to next step.
6. Combine the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, milk and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl and cream together. Add the flour and peanut butter and stir until combined. Stir in the broken up dark chocolate.
7. Spread the cookie dough mixture in an even layer on top of the cooled brownies. Chill before adding the chocolate glaze.
8. Melt the chocolate with the butter and stir until smooth. Spread over the chilled cookie dough layer.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Serves: Makes approx. 48 squares
Cals/serving: far too many!